Monday, April 27, 2009

In the fridge

Soggy Coaster is excited about the bottle of Stone Imperial Russian Stout in the fridge. I love imperial stouts, and Stone is a quality brewery.

This beer from the San Diego brewery was just released. I found a 22-ounce bottle at Star Liquors.

Spring seems like an odd time to release a seasonal stout, but hey, they own a brewery and I don't.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Stone's imperial stout measures up with others I've had this winter, including Carver's Imperial Stout, Deschutes' The Abyss (11 percent ABV, 65 IBUs), Rogue Imperial Stout (88 IBUs), North Coast's Old Rasputin Imperial Stout (9 percent ABV, 75 IBUs), Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout and Victory Storm King Imperial Stout (9.1 percent ABV).

My only concern is the very aggressive profile of Stone's stout: 10.5 percent ABV, 90+ IBUs. I loved The Abyss, but found its very noticeable alcohol bite to be a discordant note. With a similar profile, I fear the Stone will carry a boozy fume.

My favorite imperial stouts have been those that were just slightly dialed back, like the Old Rasputin and Victory Storm King. Once you get above 10 percent, you're talking serious booze.

Until I crack that open, I'm enjoying working my way through a six-pack of Mexican Logger, Ska's just-released seasonal lager. At only 4.2 percent ABV and 18 IBUs, it's a nice break from the "big" beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment