Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Steamworks releases Spruce Goose

Steamworks Brewing Co. has released Spruce Goose, a winter seasonal brewed with 80 pounds of spruce tips from Molas Pass trees.

Spruce Goose is on tap at Steamworks and available in 22-ounce bomber bottles.

“To some extent, this is a homegrown beer,” Brian McEachron, director of marketing and sales, said in a news release. “It’s a beer that’s certainly not ‘mainstream,’ but definitely worth discovering.”


McEachron credited Steamworks brewer Ken Martin with perfecting the recipe, which purportedly dates to the Vikings.

Spruce Goose is 8.1 percent ABV, and it earned a bronze medal in the 2009 Australian International Beer Competition.

It has been years since I've tried Spruce Goose. When I first drank it, it really threw me off and I couldn't even finish a pint. However, tastes evolve, and I'll give Spruce Goose another shot this winter. Look for a review here in the next week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment